Re: Voices With NVDA Question Please.

Gene

Evidently, as I believe Rosemary said, there are no variants in One Core voices in NVDA.  I’m not  sure why you can’t find the voice you first heard. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 6:42 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Voices With NVDA Question Please.

Gene,

When I pick a voice, and tab, I only get options of rate,rate boost,pitch, volume,automatic, etc, nothing about voices or cores. 

Janet ,

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 6:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I don’t know if it is a voice or a variant.  Do you know about variants and how to see different ones?  I don’t use One Core voices but if they have variants, pick a voice, tab I  believe once, then move up and down and see if there are variants.  When you tab to the vfield, you should hear variant spoken.  If you don’t, you aren’t in the right place or the One Core voices don’t have them.  Others who have One Core voices can discuss that further. 

Gene

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 5:56 PM

Gene,

When I first downloded and installed NVDA 2021.1, I tried three other voices just to hear what they sounded like.  Now, I can’t find the voice that was there when I first installed NVDA.  Although, even now as soon as I turn on my Windows 10 Laptop and NVDA, I do hear the voice that I like, but only for a second, and then the other voice Zira comes in which I am currently using, and the voice I like I don’t hear anymore.  Kind of strange!  LOL!  I’m thinking the voice I like might be the NVDA original voice, just a thought. 

Janet

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 5:46 PM

I don’t know what voice that is.  Are you saying that when you run NVDA, you hear a certain voice and if you change it, you can’t get back to it? 

Gene

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 5:42 PM

Hi Gene,

The problem I have with raising the voice, is I can’t find the voice in order to change the rate though.  I can only find the three voices David, Zira, Mark, and I can change the rate for either of them, just not the voice I hear when I turn on NVDA. 

Janet

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 5:38 PM

One point asked about in the original message is how to speed up the voice.  I don’t have Windows 10 and so I can’t describe how you speed it up in Windows 10.  To speed it up in NVDA, open the voice dialog, NVDA key control v, tab to rate, and right arrow until the slider is at the speed you want or at maximum. 

You will likely want the speech to be faster and this discussion explains how to do it in Windows itself.  I don’t use Windows 10 and I can’t discuss how it is done.  If you have questions, you may ask here, of course.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 5:25 PM

Oh, okay. The earlier NVDA voice that was used 2010 or earlier sounded awful.  I got used to it. Then I guess maybe 2017 or something. It got better. 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: July 15, 2021 3:18 PM

The male voice  you hear  when nvda  first started, might be David.  It and the Zira voice are both part of the micro soft 1core voiceds that come with win10.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of janet

Sent: July 15, 2021 2:58 PM

Subject: [nvda] Voices With NVDA Question Please.

Hi Everyone,

While I'm trying to get used to NVDA, as I am coming from JAWS after 30 years. I like it so far, but I have more to learn about it.

My question is what is the name of the male voice that first comes on when installing NVDA? I like that voice, if I could only speed up the voice, I would like that even better!  I am currently using Zira not sure of the spelling or the name though.  I do like that voice also.  Is the Zira voice from Windows?

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Janet

Peace Be With You.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.