Re: Is the NVDA Commands Quick Reference available in some searchable document format? (e.g. PDF, docx)

Martin McCormick

I've been following this thread back from when it started out as
the very intelligent question of "What is an Object?"

This discussion is in English. The only other language
that I speak any of at all is Spanish and what we appear to be
talking about is nothing less than how the human brain processes
concepts.

We humans tend to try to simplify ideas to wrap our minds
around a particular concept so we come up with an expression as a container
for that whole idea such as fire or disease prevention, both
concepts contain huge numbers of actions and smaller-scope ideas
which, all together, constitute the big concept of disease
prevention or fire prevention.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread or these
threads because the concept of what classifies as an object is
very important but difficult to simply answer other than to think of
it as a container or box that could be of any size which holds
anything from one instruction to a whole series of programs or
modules.

In the unix operating system, one of the strangest feelings
I ever had was to learn that the unix kernel is one giant program
or object without which nothing else works.

The same is true with Windows or any other operating
system that comes to mind.

The world is an object so is a light switch but the scope
of the light switch as a pair of contacts that make or break the
circuit is easy to understand while the whole world will never
totally be understood by any one person. When the contacts in
the light switch corrode such that even though they appear to be
touching, a small layer of oxide keeps them electrically apart,
we have an unanticipated factor in this simple object that only a
person familiar with how light switches die feels comfortable and
others just scratch their heads.

Another suggestion for making something searchable is to
save it as ASCII text. It's a clunky old format but I wish more
emails and manuals existed in ASCII text because, while operating
systems, computers and the objects they use to process everything
come and go, plain text is the one common denominator. Even
there, nothing is fool-proof because one might know there is an
expression such as "stochastic resonance" in the document one is
searching but stochastic happens to be on one line and resonance
is the first word of the next line so, if your search engine is
too elementary, it will blow right by the object of your search
and you'll miss it. I can't count the number of times I have
looked for information in documents and not found it because of
spelling errors on my part, spelling errors on the part of the
person writing the document or formatting-related issues that
appeared to obscure the expression when it was there in plain
text all the time, just rearranged slightly . When we search for
some expression, we may deal with regular expressions which are
more objects that break text in to classifications such as
numbers, letters and white space.

Martin

"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com> writes:

Thank you gentlemen. Both of those are useful workarounds.

I do have to say I'd like to keep the formatting, though. I'll try
opening one of the PDFs using word, and saving out the resulting docx to
see what happens.

The above being said, I can't imagine that it would be difficult to "pack
and ship" a searchable document format of this reference with NVDA
itself, but I may be the very odd bird who likes to have these references
available separate from the screen reader even when I am using the screen
reader.

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their
actions. The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions,
and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body. What
you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

~ Brian Vogel

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#86438): https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/86438
-=-=-
NVDA Topics on Groups.io - https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topics | NVDA
Archive Search Page on Groups.io - https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/search

Get NVDA from: https://www.nvaccess.org/
Your continued donations help keep NVDA development going strong. Donate
at: https://www.nvaccess.org/donate
Get NVDA add-ons at: https://addons.nvda-project.org/
Other links:
NVDA on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515