Re: Adding more add-ons to the core

Edited

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 10:33 AM, Gene wrote:
A yearly disruption being what is expected, I submit that some systematic means be undertaken to determine what the most important and widely used add-ons are and that those functions be built into the core.
-
Not that I don't get what you're saying, and why, but in the final analysis it really doesn't matter where the functionality lies if there is a commitment to ongoing maintenance from its source.

It's become clear that, as far as add-ons go, creating one, even a great one, and then walking away without any transition plan means it's not going to last.  But, based upon some whisperings I've heard, the updates to how add-ons themselves are handled overall may ease this issue to a great extent.  I would simply hope that anyone who decides to leave their role as developer/maintainer of a given add on would do the responsible thing and seek out "the next generation maintainer" as part of their exit strategy.  But even if they don't, I suspect that the ability of someone else to pick up an abandoned add-on will be far less complicated than it has been in the past.

I suspect that things will be much as they are, with certain add-on functionality being integrated into the core over time, and what gets integrated will be carefully curated by the folks at NVAccess, just as has always been the case.  They're in the best position to know what can be integrated and when, and how.

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

        ~ Liza Minnelli