No sound with NVDA 2020.1 in a Windows 10 VM

S├ębastien Hinderer

Dear all,

I am a Linux usser wishing to use w Windows VM running under VirtualBox
and with NVDA running into it as a screen reader.

Since I am based in France I downloaded NVDA2020.1 which seemed to be
the latest release, at least on the french website. Later on I
discovered on the nvaccess.org website that 2021.1 seems to be released
so if you think switching to this version could help to solve my problem
I would like no, but then I'd ask why this is not yet on the french
website, is it because of a lack of translations? In which case I'm
happy to help.

Coming to the problem. The VM works. We can hear Windows' system sounds
and it is also possible to play videos on YouTube through FireFix from
within the VM and that will produce sound.

What does not work is that NVDA does not speak and that even the sounds
one is supposed to hear when it starts up or when it stops can't be
heard.

The speech synthetizers (Windows OneCore voices for french) are
installed but it is not possible to listen to a sample.

Almost the same goes for the narrator, the difference bbeing that it's
possible ot hear it beep but not speak.

The Windows in question has been activated.

I am a visually impaired engineer surrounded by sighted and skilled
engineers so we will be happpy to provide any information that could
help you in assisting me.

Any hint warmly welcome! Thanks!

S├ębastien.