Re: No sound with NVDA 2020.1 in a Windows 10 VM

Chris

If narrator isn’t working either then maybe selecting the espeak synth that comes with NVDA may help and/or changing the output to another  device

From: Sébastien Hinderer
Sent: 29 July 2021 14:33
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] No sound with NVDA 2020.1 in a Windows 10 VM

Dear all,

I am a Linux usser wishing to use w Windows VM running under VirtualBox

and with NVDA running into it as a screen reader.

Since I am based in France I downloaded NVDA2020.1 which seemed to be

the latest release, at least on the french website. Later on I

discovered on the nvaccess.org website that 2021.1 seems to be released

so if you think switching to this version could help to solve my problem

I would like no, but then I'd ask why this is not yet on the french

website, is it because of a lack of translations? In which case I'm

happy to help.

Coming to the problem. The VM works. We can hear Windows' system sounds

and it is also possible to play videos on YouTube through FireFix from

within the VM and that will produce sound.

What does not work is that NVDA does not speak and that even the sounds

one is supposed to hear when it starts up or when it stops can't be

heard.

The speech synthetizers (Windows OneCore voices for french) are

installed but it is not possible to listen to a sample.

Almost the same goes for the narrator, the difference bbeing that it's

possible ot hear it beep but not speak.

The Windows in question has been activated.

I am a visually impaired engineer surrounded by sighted and skilled

engineers so we will be happpy to provide any information that could

help you in assisting me.

Any hint warmly welcome! Thanks!

Sébastien.