Re: No sound with NVDA 2020.1 in a Windows 10 VM

Lukasz Golonka

Hello,

On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 14:17:43 +0200
S├ębastien Hinderer <Sebastien.Hinderer@inria.fr> wrote:

Coming to the problem. The VM works. We can hear Windows' system sounds
and it is also possible to play videos on YouTube through FireFix from
within the VM and that will produce sound.

What does not work is that NVDA does not speak and that even the sounds
one is supposed to hear when it starts up or when it stops can't be
heard.

The speech synthetizers (Windows OneCore voices for french) are
installed but it is not possible to listen to a sample.

Almost the same goes for the narrator, the difference bbeing that it's
possible ot hear it beep but not speak.
Are you by any chance running Windows 10 1809? First versions of this
build had exactly the issue you're describing under Virtual Box. I've
reported this both to Oracle (https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17942)
and to Microsoft Accessibility team. The latter report resulted in this
issue being corrected with an update but unfortunately if you've
installed from the image without the appropriate CU integrated you need
to fix it manually. To do so it is necessary to open your sound settings
and ensure your sound card is set to Stereo rather than to 5.1 which the
audio card emulated by Virtual Box fails to handle well.

--
Regards
Lukasz