Re: No sound with NVDA 2020.1 in a Windows 10 VM

S├ębastien Hinderer

Dear Lukasz,

I am so grateful that you paid attention to my message and took the time
to respond to it! Thank you so much!

I will quote your message and do bottom-posting, I hope you don't mind
but let me know if you do and I will use a different approach.

Lukasz Golonka via groups.io (2021/07/29 21:54 +0200):
Are you by any chance running Windows 10 1809?
I don't know. Is there a way to figure that out without sighted
assistance when no screen reader works? Otherwise I will have to wait
until a colleague of mine can help me on that.

First versions of this
build had exactly the issue you're describing under Virtual Box. I've
reported this both to Oracle (https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17942)
and to Microsoft Accessibility team.
It's nice that you did the reports! Thanks! I feel dumb for not having
found them, actually!

The latter report resulted in this
issue being corrected with an update but unfortunately if you've
installed from the image without the appropriate CU
What do you mean by CU, exactly? I'm not familiar with the terminology,
sorry.

integrated you need
to fix it manually. To do so it is necessary to open your sound settings
and ensure your sound card is set to Stereo rather than to 5.1 which the
audio card emulated by Virtual Box fails to handle well.
Just to make sure. When you talk about the sound settings, do you mean
on the Windows side?

Many thanks, again, for the invaluable information you provided!

Best wishes,

S├ębastien.