Re: No sound with NVDA 2020.1 in a Windows 10 VM

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 01:10 AM, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:
Is it possible that, when Windows is asked to search for updates, it has
been pre-configured to do so only on the institute's server which would
then only have certain CU that would prevent one from installing a too
recent version of Windows with respect to some security policy they may
have?
-
Yes, that is a possibility.

You really need to talk with "your people" so that you can understand exactly what they are supplying to you and what their constraints are from a policies and procedures perspective.  I realize that you are new to this job, and this is a pain, but the more you can get nailed down about not only what you're dealing with now, but how things are going to work with your Windows VM going forward, the easier your life will be.

It could be that you have a more recent version of Windows 10 for all I know.  It would still be helpful to know what their update policy is if all Windows updates are being managed by them.

My gut is telling me that you are not going to have Windows 10 Home or Pro, but Enterprise or Educational, both of which are intended for large entities that control their own Windows Updates and their timing.

I'd also hope that your employer has technical support that can help out with solving the most pressing issue you're having right now:  no speech output.

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

        ~ Liza Minnelli