Re: Introducing NVDA-addons.org, the largest international add-ons store with official and unofficial add-ons from all NVDA communities

Marco Oros

This is very great idea. I'll be happy to upload here new addons aswell.

Marco

Dňa 7. 8. 2021 o 0:11 Iván Novegil via groups.io napísal(a):

Dear NVDA users across the world,

I'm pleased to announce to you the availability of the final version of NVDA-addons.org, the first website created to serve as an international directory for both official and unofficial NVDA add-ons.

Indeed, this project aims to gather the download links of all possible add-ons, within logical standards of usability. You won't have to search in Google anymore to, at the end, find an outdated version uploaded to Dropbox, or ask through your preferred mailing list until someone is able to rescue and send you as an attachment that add-on that is distributed from mailbox to mailbox for years. In NVDA_addons.org, your favourite add-on may be hosted by Dropbox, but we, both users and administrators, will make our best to guarantee you its most updated release. Moreover, you'll be able to know before downloading any add-on its exact compatibility range and development status.

The platform has been self-developed by us and has the following features:

  • Table of add-ons on the home page: As simple as typing NVDA-addons.org in your preferred web browser. Last updated add-ons are shown at the top and official add-ons, those published at add-ons.nvda-project.org, are flagged as "verified".
  • Filters: You can filter add-on table by add-on's name, summary, release channel, minimum NVDA version and last tested NVDA version.
  • Paginator: Browse the add-on table 50 by 50.
  • Dedicated page for each add-on: See its author, website, description and available downloads, with supported NVDA version range for each of them.
  • Direct download both from home page and add-on page.
  • Supported by advancedAddonFiles: The directory already contains all the add-ons added to the Spanish-speaking NVDA Community website, NVDA.es. This is because NVDA-addons.org is only an interface for advancedAddonFiles, the application that manages add-on additions and updates.
  • Automatic translator in all pages, powered by Google.
  • top 10 downloaded add-ons: All pages include a widget showing the 10 most downloaded add-on releases along with their last tested NVDA version.
  • Newsletter: With our newsletter, you'll get a digest of updated and added add-ons each week, and also special notices and information about review requests. Subscribe by sending a blank message to news+subscribe@.... This is also displayed as a widget in all pages.
  • Donate: We'd prefer not to ask for donations, but the Spanish-speaking NVDA Community Association, stablished in Spain as a legal nonprofit, survives thanks to them. Maintaining NVDA-addons.org is only one of our initiatives. You can donate through PayPal, credit/debit card and GitHub Sponsors, using the widget at the bottom of each page.
  • Direct contact: We are human and willing to help. Send us your thoughts, questions and suggestions to admin@....

How can you collaborate?

  1. Adding new add-ons: You can submit a review request for one add-on that is not registered. It doesn't matter if you are its author or not. Once we've verified it doesn't contain spam, it'll be published to receive public comments regarding add-on usability and security. In absence of them, or after they've been resolved, the add-on will be added to the database. If you've specified your email, you'll be given direct access to update that add-on. You can also submit a review request for already registered add-ons to discuss usability or security issues.
  2. Letting us know of add-on updates: If you find an outdated add-on in our database, don't hesitate to reach us at admin@... with all the information you have about the new version. We'll happy to publish that new version, provieded that it's from the same author or we have reasonable evidences of abandonment from that maintainer and a new one continues the development.

What happens if you have an interested friend who doesn't know English? That's, in fact, the idea behind the translate widget. Just choose your native language and enjoy. We know that no translation can match a human translation, but this is our easiest and simplest solution to have NVDA-addons.org internationalized. If you want to export our catalog to your local NVDA website, don't forget that it's available in JSON format at https://nvda-addons.org/files/get.php?addonslist

On the other hand, don't worry to write us a message in another language. We'll make our best to reply you.

What is coming next? We're now announcing the first version of the website but can't wait to think about the future. Héctor Benítez has developed an add-ons store prototype for NVDA-addons.org, which will be enhanced until it gets to a stable version that we all can use to review the catalog and download the add-ons we want from NVDA directly. You can download the prototype, in spanish, from: https://nvda-addons.org/files/get.php?file=tienda

I really hope this new tool is useful for you and every NVDA user you know. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards.

--

Iván Novegil Cancelas
Equipo de xestión web e desenvolvemento

Asociación Comunidad Hispanohablante de NVDA
- Tel.: (+34) 910 05 33 25 ext. 2000
- ivan.novegil@...
- www.NVDA.es
- @nvda_es

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Esta mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos están dirixidos ao seu destinatario e poden conter información privilexiada ou confidencial. A utilización, copia ou divulgación dos mesmos por parte de alguén diferente do destinatario mencionado non están permitidas sen autorización. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro pregámoslle o comunique por esta mesma vía e a destrúa.***