Announcing the next generation NVDA International Users forum powered by Groups.IO!
Dear members of the NVDA Community around the world:
My name is Joseph S. Lee, one of the contributors to NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA) screen reader project and one of the admins of the NVDA International users list. On behalf of NVDA list admins, I’d like to thank you all for your continued support for NVDA, and to thank you users for your continued devotion to NVDA and making it become part of lives of more blind and visually impaired users around the world.
As we the NVDA community is in the midst of a celebration of ten years of screen reading excellence, and to upgrade the user support experience of NVDA and for ease of list management, members of the NVDA International list have agreed to move our users list from Freelists to Groups.IO. Founded in 2014 and currently operating in live beta, Groups.IO provides features not found in Freelists, such as calendar events and periodic notifications, group wikis powered by Markdown, polls, databases, integration with services such as Dropbox, Github and others and more. This service also makes it easier to search list archives from the web interface, hashtags for ease or archiving, streamlined list subscription process, RSS feeds and subgroups (focus groups for specialized topics). Most importantly, the staff at Groups.IO are committed to accessibility out of the box, and much work has gone to make list management, web interface and other features accessible to list admins and members who are screen reader users. Although Freelists provides more advanced control over list management, we the members of the NVDA users list believe that Groups.IO provides long-term benefits thanks to accessibility commitments and features listed above.
Thus, effective immediately, the Freelists version of NVDA users list (www.freelists.org/list/nvda) is hereby declared obsolete, replaced by Groups.IO forum (http://groups.io/g/nvda). This does not mean the old list will cease to function now – the lights will be turned off by end of April to allow easy transition to those going to Groups.IO. Nor all members will be added to new list right away – an invitation will be sent to Freelists members to join the new (official) list.
The specifics are as follows:
· Effective immediately, no new members will be admitted to Freelists list. Various websites, mostly NVDA Community Wiki will be edited to point to the new list URL.
· To subscribe to the new (official) list, send an email to email@example.com (no subject line required, please confirm if requested).
· For those who find that they cannot subscribe via email, an “instant switchover service” will be provided where you’ll be added to the list by administrators (note that this is a limited time offer; applications will be accepted until March 15, 2016, and instant switchover will occur starting from March 5, 2016). If you do need to take advantage of this service, please contact NVDA list admins at firstname.lastname@example.org before the offer expires.
· List traffic on the old list will be halted on March 31, 2016. This is required in order to smoothly transfer Freelists archives to Groups.IO.
· The sunset date for Freelists list will be May 1, 2016. Prior to that, a few last-minute messages will be sent to Freelists subscribers. Anyone left on the sunset date will be removed from the Freelists list.
We the members of the next generation NVDA International Users List are thrilled and look forward to serving the NVDA community through the new list for years to come. Thank you.
Joseph S. Lee
Translator, code contributor and community add-ons reviewer, NVDA screen reader project (www.nvaccess.org)
Moderator, NVDA International Users List (http://groups.io/g/nvda)
Chair, NVDA Tenth Anniversary Planning Committee (http://groups.io/g/nvdacon)