Re: Mystery surrounding computer

Chris Mullins

I’ve had a quick look on the net and there are a couple of ways described for getting into the bios on the UEFI machine but the principle of reverting to a standard keyboard function then using the fn key to invoke smart mode remains the same.  I too know of no screen reader that can operate at the bios level and I think it unlikely there could be, so sighted assistance would be required to make the changes.     

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 19 September 2016 17:14
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Mystery surrounding computer

Chris,

That's a great set of instructions, but it predates UEFI.  For those who have a machine with UEFI there will be a couple of steps to get to the BIOS function under UEFI.

I still don't know of any screen reader that operates this early in the boot sequence, no matter if we're talking a native BIOS machine or a newer one with UEFI.  My HP laptop had the keys set for multimedia mode, but the machine is UEFI based and that function is called SmartKeys on this model.  Now that I've turned off the SmartKeys (ActionKeys in your posted example) I'm back to having to hit the Fn key plus the actual function key to invoke the media function, which is just how I like it.
--
Brian

I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never enough to keep up.

~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.