Re: Q-Installer?

Jackie

Well, this will be my last post on the topic because it's not on
topic, but, having been a victim of Asus's compromised servers (see
https://thehackernews.com/2019/03/asus-computer-hacking.html among
others), I can tell you it makes a cat on a hot tin roof appear sedate
compared to the way I feel about it all.

I have not had any of this but I could see where it would be a good idea
and also why not.

I have an old asus h series board.

It does come with a lot of extra software, but I only load the drivers.

However I have noticed this with some of my mice, logitech, microsoft,
etc and cameras and other hardware like my printers and the like.

You can turn some of this off but I have never had a bad experience with
it and in fact like that my hardware is loading its own drivers rather
than letting windows use generic drivers.

I do think there should be more control of this stuff though as malware
users could write straight to the bios though a lot of this stuff can be
secured against.

Its another thing to check when setting up for the first time though.

I have recently setup an old hp server for one of my uncles which was
set to start and shut down at certain times as well as load a load of
extras as it was set for a business.

When it was sold x lease no one thought to clear the bios and eufi so I
needed a friend who I had about to fix that but its ok now.

So obviously I will have to be carefull and get people to go through
eufi every time I set things up.

I don't want extra junk being installed, I want control of what is loaded.

Now if there is a way to control within the os what is loaded, and how
its kept updated maybe I'd be happy with that.

On 18/08/2021 3:05 pm, Jackie wrote:
The whole purpose of the utility is so folks can't access it. It's
basically a motherboard rootkit.

On 8/17/21, Jackie McBride <abletec@gmail.com> wrote:
Chris S, check out:
https://www.techpowerup.com/248827/asus-z390-motherboards-automatically-push-software-into-your-windows-installation?cp=3

On 8/17/21, Chris Smart <ve3rwj@winsystem.org> wrote:
Thanks, that was a helpful response. LOL