Re: Listbox option values are only accessible in focus mode

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 06:08 PM, Jonathan COHN wrote:
IMHO, whenever you encounter a screen reader saying "clickable", it means the web developer has not used ARIA to let the end user know the specific type of control you are working with and is therefore a failure of the Web Accessibility Guidelines.
-
Can't disagree with you there.

I have never really understood, really, why even "clickable" is necessary or preferable for the vast majority of screen reader users beyond those who are absolute beginners with a computer.

At this stage in history I presume, regardless of visual status, that most computer users know exactly what it is that needs to be activated to cause an action to occur versus an edit box, which you just fill in.  Almost everything is "clickable" when it comes down to it: Links, buttons, dropdown lists, and the list goes on and on.  The need to "click" to make something happen is the rule, not the exception.

I seem to recall when "clickable" started to be announced, and it was only a couple of years ago unless I'm wrong (and I could be).  It always struck me as "auditory clutter" that's not telling most users anything they don't already know.

But this is another thing where I am quite sure others would argue, and vehemently, that I am crazy to say that.  It's another example of what I mean by defaults need to be chosen and defaults are not always to a given user's liking.  If you can tweak things to turn on/off announcement of things like "clickable" then I'm perfectly happy to learn how to do that.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.