Re: Listbox option values are only accessible in focus mode

Jackie

Brian, the problem is that the attribute being used is an on-click
attribute. Thus, the control is neither a link, a button, a checkbox,
a radio--in essence, although it may supposed to represent or simulate
1 of these things, and a sighted person may find it indistinguishable,
if the control doesn't announce itself as being clickable, we won't
know that it indeed is.

On 8/23/21, bestuiexperience <bestuiexperience@gmail.com> wrote:
I see some advantages to announcing "clickable". In the example with the
listbox it only says "clickable" when in browse mode because when the user
is in focus mode, the control will automatically become activated as
opposed to when in browse mode, the control needs first be activated before
it can be used.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 6:23 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 06:08 PM, Jonathan COHN wrote:

IMHO, whenever you encounter a screen reader saying "clickable", it means
the web developer has not used ARIA to let the end user know the specific
type of control you are working with and is therefore a failure of the
Web
Accessibility Guidelines.

-
Can't disagree with you there.

I have never really understood, really, why even "clickable" is necessary
or preferable for the vast majority of screen reader users beyond those
who
are absolute beginners with a computer.

At this stage in history I presume, regardless of visual status, that
most
computer users know exactly what it is that needs to be activated to
cause
an action to occur versus an edit box, which you just fill in. Almost
everything is "clickable" when it comes down to it: Links, buttons,
dropdown lists, and the list goes on and on. The need to "click" to make
something happen is the rule, not the exception.

I seem to recall when "clickable" started to be announced, and it was
only
a couple of years ago unless I'm wrong (and I could be). It always
struck
me as "auditory clutter" that's not telling most users anything they
don't
already know.

But this is another thing where I am quite sure others would argue, and
vehemently, that I am crazy to say that. It's another example of what I
mean by defaults need to be chosen and defaults are not always to a given
user's liking. If you can tweak things to turn on/off announcement of
things like "clickable" then I'm perfectly happy to learn how to do that.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.