Re: not constantly maintained addon and compatibility issue

Roger Stewart

If you have a program like 7Zip, you can just open the archive which will let you see into the zip file without opening it. Then you can find the manifest.ini file and edit it and then save the changes and now you have an nvda add on with an updated manifest.ini file and you can then install it as long as it is really compatible with the new version of nvda.

Roger

On 9/9/2021 9:13 AM, Gene wrote:
As far as I know, you can’t install incompatible add-ons.  I get a message, before installation can proceed, that the add-on has been blocked because of incompatibility.

Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2021 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] not constantly maintained addon and compatibility issue

hi,
if you have the addons installed, you just need to go to the NVDA configuration directory.
there you can find the addons folder.
In short, find the addon you want to edit the manifest file, enter the folder and edit the file using a text editor such as notepad.
good luck.

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 3:55 PM William <xsuper.sillyx@...> wrote:

Well, do you mean rename the .addon file to .zip,

unzip it,

use text editor to open the .ini file

edit the line last tested version to thelatest nvda version

then zip the folder back to  a .zip file and rename to a .addon file?

Fawaz Abdul rahman 於 9/9/2021 17:10 寫道:

Hi,
if it is just a matter of the flag, then you can edit the manifest.ini file yourself and it should work properly.
However, if you are not sure how to do it or what to do, send the addons you have issues with, and someone may be able to help you.
good luck.

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 8:41 AM William <xsuper.sillyx@...> wrote:
Hello, especially for nvda developers and addon developers,

Thanks to lots of addon that enhanced my productivity.

The current situation is that, some of the addon that I am using is not
supporting the latest nvda 2021.1 and are forced to be blocked by nvda.

To my understanding, some of these addons are not really "having
compatibility issue", it is only not updated the addon file to state
that the addon is supporting the latest nvda, am i right?

Can we have a mechanism to make these addons being maintained, even

if the developer ignored it or forget to update it?

Thanks,

William