From: Gene
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 12:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Antivirus

But the less people know how to protect themselves, the more they need effective antimalware programs.  Yes, user practices are important.  But speaking of myths, there are myths about what sites are safe.  Many small sites, such as small religious sites, often don't have good security precautions and are more dangerous than sites considered dangerous such as pornography sites.  Advertising even on safe sites, may be hacked.  And what about a moment of absent-mindedness?  I am very careful about good practices but once, maybe a year ago, when I wasn't thinking carefully about what I was doing, I followed a link in an e-mail and malware was attempted to be downloaded to my machine.  My antimalware program stopped the download.

Of course, as you say, bad practices endanger machines regardless of what antimalware programs someone is running.  But I don't consider that to be license to not look for good programs.