Re: Is it possible to drag-and-drop with NVDA and the keyboard

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 07:03 AM, Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
How do you do emulated drag-and-drop?
-
As I said earlier:  See the NVDA Keyboard Quick Commands, Navigating with the Mouse section, for a discussion of using left mouse lock followed by routing commands for drag and drop.

That's pretty much it.  You get a left mouse key lock on the item you wish to drag, navigate to where you want to drop it, route the mouse to the navigator object location, then toggle the left lock off to drop.

And while the described steps are easy, getting the desired result is not, because if you give focus to something else while navigating, the thing you "picked up" with the left mouse lock action is released and will remain precisely where it was.

This is something that takes quite a bit of practice to get the hang of and is still nowhere near to 100% reliable.  That's why I don't use it unless no other option exists.  And I tell my clients that if they can't get emulated drag and drop to work after a couple of attempts for a specific thing, get sighted help, at least if the idea is to get this done and move along to the next thing with maximum possible speed.

Like I said earlier, most of what is done by drag and drop can be done by copy and paste.  Or cut and paste if you want to move the objects, not copy them.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.