Re: Problem to anounce some menu items

Gene

I’m not sure what the original poster was complaining about.  In general, if you use alt to move to the menu bar, you hear the name of the menu you are on, usually file, and nothing else because the menu isn’t opened. If you left or right arrow across the menu bar, you hear the menu you are on and nothing else because the menu isn’t opened.  If you use a short cut letter such as alt f, that moves you to and opens the file menu so you do hear the first item.

The thing that isn’t clear is whether the person is saying that when he/she  does something that opens a menu such as move to it and down arrow, whether the first item is heard when you down arrow once.  Likewise, if the person uses something like alt f to open a menu, if the person hears the first item or not.

Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2021 4:44 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problem to anounce some menu items

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 05:17 PM, bering.p wrote:
I'm not sure if it's the same isue but  when Itype "shift+f10"  with focus on desktop,
NVDA says "context menu" but the first submenu is not announced.
-
And, based upon what I can see (literally) this would be the expected behavior.  If one has focus on the desktop itself, and not a shortcut or file on the desktop, when the context menu is opened no item in the context menu has initial focus, so there is nothing for NVDA to read to you other than the fact that the context menu is open.  You start having items announced once you begin arrowing through.

This seems to be the case for the context menu in general when invoked either on the desktop with no item selected, or with an item selected.  There is no focus on any specific item in the menu initially, and first focus only occurs once you begin the traversal process.

I don't have Thunderbird installed on this machine, but I do seem to recall that certain menus under Thunderbird behave similarly in that when they appear nothing in the menu itself has focus until you begin moving through it.

While this menu presentation is very far from "dirt common" it's not unheard of, either.  And it's somewhat analogous to what you see, too, in that visually nothing is selected in those menus when they pop-up.  Until and unless you click on something, nothing has focus and no action will be taken if you just hit enter or click anywhere except on one of the menu items.  If you do either of those two things the menu just disappears.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.