Re: Mystery surrounding computer

As an aside, computers that have multimedia keys/smart keys/active keys can absolutely generate the equivalent of what used to be a "naked" function key, but it requires that you use Fn+ to do it.

All these multimedia setups do is flip-flop the use of the Fn key at the bottom of the keyboard.  For many decades to get an actual hardware function (or user-defined function) out of the F keys across the top of the keyboard one had to use Fn plus appropriate F key to make it happen.  In the case of multimedia keys you use the Fn key with the appropriate F key to have it interpreted as a straight F key press.