Personally, I use Sophos Home. It is cloud-based, and works great. It also has a good web filter. It allows a user to manage up to I believe ten PC's for no cost. I trust them as they are know in the enterprise space for delivering good security solutions.

I am considering enabling the wicki feature for our group. I think it would be good to include some of the most common questions in an FAQ. This would allow us to point users to that article instead of hashing out our views on MSE or Windows Defender.

Thanks.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 1:11 PM Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:
Yes indeed, most even old outlook Express has a tick box for not letting you
access certain content. if you turn this off, you are going to have to be
more careful, and I am.
 Its always a trade off between ease of use and safety. the best safety is
thinking of what you are going to do and taking a sensible decision. Luckily
I have some clunker machines I can isolate from the network if I really want
to go to some of the murkier corners of the web.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Antivirus

Gene,

I'm well aware of the many times that both Microsoft Security Essentials and
Windows Defender have been "dissed." Even without questioning the
motivations you note yourself that they are "tolerable."

I'm quite tired of the perpetuation of the myth, and it is a myth, that "the
best antivirus software" is what, ultimately, keeps you safe from infection.
People who browse and download carelessly virtually always get infections. I
have to clean them up as part of my living, so I see this up close and
personal all the time and a great many of those people have "the best"
antivirus and/or security suite programs. Your best offense against
infection is an excellent defense, which means paying attention to where
you're traveling in cyberspace and/or what you're downloading. If whatever
program you're using as antivirus doesn't do realtime scanning, particularly
of e-mail messages if you're using an e-mail client program, before you can
even touch them then you need to be using one that does (and that's the
generic "you," not you, personally).

If accessibility is a concern there are few antivirus programs that are as
accessible in all respects as those that come built-in to Windows. Having
the ability to control what you need to control is a lot bigger on the
practical needs list than what is "the best" in some bench tester's opinion
if you ask me.

I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never
enough to keep up.
~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the
Universe"