Re: Antivirus

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 11:07 am, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
With an ad blocker on you don't get any of that rubbish to distract you. Also if you are of the mind to click links in emails from places you have never heard of, then you deserve what you get.

The first thing I install is an Ad Blocker for the web browsers that someone might be using and show them how to disable it for a single site or single page since there are rare occasions when this might be necessary.   It is my personal feeling that ad blocking is absolutely essential for screen reader users who are using the web on a routine basis to do things like research.  If one is going to newspaper websites, for example, there are times when at least 25-40% of the objects displayed on a given page are ads.  It's hard enough trying to slog through information and filter out what's irrelevant without having to deal with this, too.  I hasten to say that the same applies for many sighted people, myself included, who are easily visually distractible.  I don't need or want all the blinking, flashing, scrolling and otherwise "visually live" garbage that many ads use and that I have to try to ignore.

            And, in this day and age and with as many news stories have been broadcast about e-mail infection techniques and phone calls out of the blue claiming that you, for any you, have an infection and the caller wants to take remote control of your computer, I've developed zero sympathy for those who should be sophisticated users who have years of experience (life and on the computer) falling for this stuff.   It's no secret that it's done, just like the cold calls claiming to be from the IRS and asking for money.  With the rarest of exceptions, and those do exist, it's a matter of "Use your head, this doesn't pass the sniff test from a mile away!!"