Re: How to eliminate all beep sounds when speech mode is off

Gene

It is important to understand when and why the browser is switching between browse mode and forms mode.  It is important to read the information in the user guide about browsing.  The web page isn’t changing.  the screen-reader is automatically switching modes. 

Sleep mode is a red herring.  It has nothing to do with the issue. 

You should also be able to get information about browsing with NVDA in various tutorials and training materials.  But if you don’t get this information, you may have ongoing confusion.

Do you know how to work with the user guide?  I won’t go into where the information is is this message.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2021 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to eliminate all beep sounds when speech mode is off

@Brian, thank you for looking into this in depth for me. I'm new to NVDA, so I appreciate the help.

Perhaps you are correct. Some of these issues might be specific to my machine. I'm not sure.

Regarding enabling Sleep Mode, I tested it once more by putting everything back to the default settings, including re-selecting "Audio indication of focus and browse modes". You were right. There is a "global suspend" option that eliminates the beeping sounds entirely when both Speech Mode is On and Sleep Mode is On. In other words, with Speech and Sleep Modes On, I don't hear those beeping sounds. However, the beeping sounds still occur when Speech Mode is On and Sleep Mode is Off. The beeps occur when I navigate through elements on a page (either with my tab key or mouse). The beep will sound just before NVDA starts reading stuff.

Ultimately the solution for me is to unselect that "Audio indication..." setting to get NVDA to fit my needs (the beeps literally hurts my ears).

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.