Re: Using NVDA with Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)

Jacob Kruger

Russell, one thing you could try in terms of updating NVDA is to temporarily use narrator?

And, in terms of the volume levels, I also find remote NvDA dropping volume on/off at times via remote desktop, but, haven't figured out the cause as of yet.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2021-09-23 07:01 PM, Russell James wrote:
Greetings,

I have a couple problems when using MS RDP with NVDA as described below.

Sometimes when I use MS RDP to access another Windows computer from my local Windows computer the audio from the remote computer is much lower than the local computer audio.

For example, I was using a local Windows 10 computer to RDP to a remote Windows 8 computer and I can hardly hear NVDA output from the remote computer, however, the local computer NVDA output is easy to hear.

I am not using NVDA remote, I'm running NVDA on both computers and using the audio from RDP.

The volume on the remote computer is set to 100%.

The sound mixer on the local computer does not include a selector for RDP.
All the selectors are at the same level.

If I go to the remote computer and disconnect from RDP the NVDA audio follows the volume control on that computer.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

When I use MS RDP to access a remote computer and try to update NVDA on the remote computer the update fails with a file in use error.

The error reports something like the file is in use by another user and allows you to retry, however, the only way I know to resolve this problem is to go to the remote computer  and access it directly and complete the update.
A screen shot of the error dialog box is attached for reference.

Many years ago this did not happen.
When I first ran into this problem I reported it.
It has never been resolved since.

It is not always easy to go to the remote computer to do the NVDA update.

If there is a better way to do this please let me know.

Thank you

Russ