locked Re: Messages Being Marked As Spam - What You Can Do #adminnotice

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 10:07 PM, Gene wrote:
My guess is that you aren’t doing anything that affects GMail when you do this in the client.  Mhy guess is that your program is running a spam filter and you are telling the program itself not to place the message in the program’s spam folder.
-
Gene,

It depends on the e-mail client and how it interacts with Gmail (or any server, really).  Some send the request to the server, and the moving happens on the server side and gets synchronized back to the client, while others do it locally having zero impact on the server side.

When it comes to Gmail, because of the above, I tend to use the webmail interface when it comes to filtering as I know that whatever is set up on Gmail's server will carry over to any email client that connects to it, while the reverse is not necessarily true.

I can't explain what's going on with Louise, unless her email client of choice has its own spam filter (much like Thunderbird's junk filter) that's post-processing everything that comes in.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.