Re: Emoji saying 12 in outlook not saying the name

Quentin Christensen

On the voice settings page (NVDA+control+v) you want to enable "Include Unicode Consortium data (including emoji) when processing characters and symbols"

"When this checkbox is checked, NVDA will include additional symbol pronunciation dictionaries when pronouncing characters and symbols. These dictionaries contain descriptions for symbols (particularly emoji) that are provided by the Unicode Consortium as part of their Common Locale Data Repository. If you want NVDA to speak descriptions of emoji characters based on this data, you should enable this option. However, if you are using a speech synthesizer that supports speaking emoji descriptions natively, you may wish to turn this off.

Note that manually added or edited character descriptions are saved as part of your user settings. Therefore, if you change the description of a particular emoji, your custom description will be spoken for that emoji regardless of whether this option is enabled. You can add, edit or remove symbol descriptions in NVDA's punctuation/symbol pronunciation dialog.

To toggle Unicode Consortium data inclusion from anywhere, please assign a custom gesture using the Input Gestures dialog."

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 8:42 AM hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:
Hi guys

Has any one had the following problem using outlook? when after
inserting a emoji when you go to read back what you have typed in the
email it says 12 instead of the name of the emoji.

They are using windows 10 not sure which version yet and to make sure I
am going to get her to update nvda she might already have I will find
out shortly.

The below is what she said and I have no answer about saying emoji
before it.

But, weirdly, when I select them and read back over that spot it just
says 12 where each one is.  Then if I send the e-mail and someone
replies I can read them if I scroll down to my original e-mail.  Emojis
from other people are reading fine.

Is this a setting I need to change in NVDA or is it something to do with
my rather outdated 2013 version of outlook.  And can I set NVDA to say
emoji when it reads one so I know it isn’t part of the text if it is a
bit random.
_._,_._,_

So it seems she can read emojis in a email but not after it has been
inserted into her email that she types up.

Any ideas?

Gene nz

--
Quentin Christensen