NVDA launches itself after UAC is dismissed, even if it wasn't running before that

Hello all,

Before eventually filing a ticket, I want to share my problem here. Maybe someone else has also encountered this previously and a solution is already available.

These days I had to reinstall my computer and all of its programs due to an SSD failure. I usually use an installed alpha version of NVDA as my daily driver. This time however, I did not had an installer for the latest alpha snapshot and initially I installed v2021.2 and then upgraded to the latest alpha snapshot via its manually downloaded install package.

Today I've noticed a peculiar behavior of NVDA, which did not occur before the reinstall. And that is: if NVDA is not running and an UAC prompt appears on the screen, after the "Yes" or "No" button is activated, NVDA will launch itself. This should not happen, but it does. Does anyone know why is this happening and is there a solution to this problem?

My copy of NVDA is configured to run after I log on and on UAC and other secure screens.

The problem occurs even without any add-ons.

I even tried removing the "nvda.ini" file from both the "AppData\Roaming\NVDA" and "Program Files (x86)\NVDA\systemConfig" directories (the file is the same), but that did not help.

In "Program Files (x86)\NVDA\systemConfig\addons", there are no add-ons.

Test environment:

  • Operating system: Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 (build 19043.1237), 64-bit, in Bulgarian with all locale settings set to "Bulgarian".
  • NVDA version: alpha-23838,ea5effee.
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-9400F at 2.90GHz.
  • RAM Memory: 16.00GB.
  • Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX-1050TI Gaming X 4G, 4096MB dedicated memory, desktop resolution set to 1920x1080.
  • Sound Card: Realtek ALC892 at Intel Cannon Point PCH.

Thanks in advance!

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev