Re: addon updater

Who knows, however who knows, Its more likely a lot of certs got updated at once, I just got updates to chrome, edge, windows, and a bunch of other things all of a sudden.

So could simply be that a lot of stuff suddenly needed renewing but whho knows we may never know.

On 1/10/2021 11:37 am, Gene wrote:
It could be a coincidence, though it would be a rather remarkable one.  We’ll see, as you said.  I first saw a message about the problem this morning and that’s why I thought it was likely a certification problem.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 5:26 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] addon updater

Hmph, well it wasn't just the update addon but nvda update checker itself.

Update check and the addon update seem to work again but it did this yesterday so we will see tomorrow.

It could simply be that certs were updated but its that propergation deal with the dns that would make sence maybe.

But who knows.

Its almost like it stops then works again who knows.

On 1/10/2021 11:10 am, Gene wrote:
I don’t know how the add-on determines if the site has proper certification.  I would think others could discuss that.  It may be that the add-on can’t determine the site is certified.  The first discussion today was about the update add-on and that was what I mainly intended to comment on, though I did comment on browsers in my last message. 

Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 5:06 PM

Hmmm just tried in edge and still can get access.

I just got the latest windows optional cu, so if I had a bad cert, well I wouldn't be able to get updates and windows automatically gets them.

On 1/10/2021 10:51 am, Gene wrote:
Your assumption, though it appears logical, isn’t correct.  Firefox doesn’t rely on Windows for certification.  It has its own certifications, or whatever the correct term is.

Chrome browsers and browsers in general rely on Windows for certification.  I don’t know if you are using Windows 10 if version matters nor do I know if whether your updates are current matters.  But without more information about what people are using, generalizations can’t be made.

Gene.
Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 4:29 PM

I can access nvda-project.org, nvaccess.org and the nvaccess.com redirect just fine at least via the web.

I can download from both manually.

Just did an ipconfig/flushdns and I got back in.

So yeah who knows nvda updaters continue to refuse to work so if its a error on my end I should have had other things going on.

On 1/10/2021 9:46 am, Dejan Ristic wrote:

Hi from me,

Just to let you know that I'm unable to access the NV access site, nor am I able to do the add-on and/or NVDA updates.

Cheers,

Dejan

On 30/09/2021 22:33, Chris via groups.io wrote:

Not only get an error checking for addon updates, also checking for NVDA updates pops up the same error message

Sent: 30 September 2021 19:26
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi,

The author of Add-on Updater himself (I) have experienced this once, and the workaround seems to be to visit addons.nvda-project.org website using your preferred web browser. If NV Access server was offline, chances are that folks would have reported problems with not only Add-on Updater, but NVDA update checks as well, affecting folks who do ask NVDA to check for updates every day. Since it doesn't affect everyone, chances are that the computer (more specifically, the operating system) might be assuming that the web trusts soon to expire security certificate without realizing that it isn't - connecting to websites flagged as secure (such as NV Access website) would inform Windows that the web is safer again.

Cheers,

Joseph

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.