Re: Add-on Updater 21.10 (mandatory update) released #addonrelease

Dejan Ristic

I've also tried to open www.nvaccess.org via Chrome and Opera, but to no avail. Both are up-to-date. Firefox fires it up at once. I'm asking myself what steps to take due to the fact that I've been using Windows 7 SP1. Am I supposed to do something about it myself? If yes, what? If no, I'd be glad because I'm not as computer savvy as Joseph and those like him. 🤣

On 02/10/2021 15:35, Don H wrote:
This did indeed fix the checking for addon updates under the tool menu
of the NVDA UI.  Checking for a NVDA update under the help menu still
causes a error message.

On 10/2/2021 8:21 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi all,

First, thank you for reporting add-on update error messages. The issue
was traced to NVDA not looking for the correct SSL error, possibly
caused by expired root certificate from Let’s Encrypt. As a result,
Add-on Updater 21.10 was just released (manual download for now):

https://github.com/josephsl/addonUpdater/releases/download/21.10/addonUpdater-21.10.nvda-addon
<https://github.com/josephsl/addonUpdater/releases/download/21.10/addonUpdater-21.10.nvda-addon>

IMPORTANT: Add-on Updater 21.10 is a MANDATORY update to anyone using
NVDA 2021.1 or later. I cannot backport this to earlier NVDA releases as
the add-on uses features introduced in NVDA 2021.1.

In addition to fixing SSL certificate verification error, Add-on Updater
21.10 makes it possible to check for add-on updates after you perform a
clean Windows installation without connecting to the Internet and then
go online afterwards. This change comes from upcoming NVDA 2021.3 (alpha
snapshots at the moment).

I advise applying this update as soon as possible – for now after
installing Add-on Updater 21.10, ignore an offer from Add-on Updater to
install Add-on Updater 21.09 – I will update this thread once Add-on
Updater 21.10 is indeed offered.

Cheers,

Joseph

.