Re: NVDA 2021.2 and Windows 11, should we wait for NVDA 2021.3?

John Isige

Thanks Quentin! Yeah, I was asking if NVDA 2021.2 worked with Windows 11. Glad to know it does. Like I said, I generally update whenever Windows has something, so I'll just switch when it becomes available, most likely.

Hi John,

Are you asking whether NVDA 2021.2 (the current version) works with Windows 11, or if you should wait for the next version, since Windows 11 was only released yesterday?

Microsoft have been releasing preview builds of Windows 11 for some time and working on those, we made NVDA 2021.2 work with the new features, which is why we are happy to say NVDA 2021.2 works with Windows 11: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2021-2/

Obviously we will continue to improve NVDA and address issues which get reported - and indeed we expect Microsoft will keep working on tweaking Windows 11, and they have Windows 10 since its release.

So, the main question is, assuming your current PC can run Windows 11, do you want to make the switch yet?  I personally haven't used it yet, so I'll leave it for others to argue the merits for and against that.  But what I will say is Microsoft have stated that support for Windows 10 will continue until October 2025.  NVDA will continue to support Windows 10 at least as long as Microsoft does, and as has been the case with previous versions of Windows, likely much longer.  Windows XP reached end of life in 2014 and we supported it up until NVDA 2017.3.  Windows 7 went out of support last year and we still support it.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 5:38 AM John Isige <gwynn@...> wrote:
Hi all.

Normally, I wouldn't ask about this. But I know that NVDA 2021.3
mentioned work for Windows 11. Normally I just update as soon as I can,
just to get it over with, and I haven't really run into any problems.
But since I don't know about NVDA compatibility with Windows 11, now
I'll ask. Do we need to wait for the next version to update to Windows
11 to get the best user experience? Or does current NVDA work just fine
with it? I wouldn't think they'd change that much in Windows to cause
significant issues. But since NVDA is officially mentioning doing work
for 11, it seems best to ask this time.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager