Re: Browse Mode single letter quick navigation shortcuts

Gene

While I haven’t seen the article with suggested tweaks, I doubt this problem is addressed.  I have either never or almost never seen it discussed before.  Something is interfering with the keys working with NVDA.

Can you give the person another computer with a different installation of Windows?  I don’t know the technical term but it is my understanding that often in businesses and institutions, people will receive computers with exactly the same copy of Windows placed, not installed, on the hard drive.  If this is a Windows problem, if the problem exists on one computer, it may on all.  Is there a way to repair Windows that might correct it?  I’ll let others discuss such questions.  I can raise them, but I don’t have the technical knowledge to discuss them.

From: Mike Adams
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2021 2:38 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Browse Mode single letter quick navigation shortcuts

> What is happening is nvda not changing to browse mode? in a web page?

Correct

> Is there some thing else grabbing the focus and you are stuck in focus mode?

It will read web pages, it will follow the mouse pointer, it will follow the tab key through links. But if i press H, X, 1 or any letter it just repeats the letter pressed back to me. It makes it frustrating to jump forward for our blind student in his known web pages (eg GMail in HTML mode)

> Is it only in the one browser or all of the browsers or nvda is saying unknown down on the running applications area.

All browsers though we use Chrome and Firefox with the blind student.

> I guess the first thing I would try is running the Run COM Registration Fixing tool... under the tools section in nvda and follow the directions.

Done, no change

> After that is done shut down the computer then start it up again and see if that fixes the problem.

Done, no change

> There have been updates in the nvda 2021.2 release for this tool so make sure you have this version of nvda.

I had and have.

> We wil see if it makes a difference.

Sorry, none

> Gene nz

I saw, at least a year ago, a reference to a webpage that suggested making setup changes in Windows 10 to make it more NVDA friendly. I can no longer find that reference or the page. I'm sure it had a list of about 10 settings/registry changes/services that could be tweaked. We were still running Windows server 2012 at that time, and NVDA was behaving well. It has never worked correctly on this desktop.

Michael, Napier, Hawkes Bay

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 at 15:06, hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

Hi

What is happening is nvda not changing to browse mode? in a web page?

Is there some thing else grabbing the focus and you are stuck in focus mode?

Is it only in the one browser or all of the browsers or nvda is saying unknown down on the running applications area.

I guess the first thing I would try is running the Run COM Registration Fixing tool... under the tools section in nvda and follow the directions.

After that is done shut down the computer then start it up again and see if that fixes the problem.

There have been updates in the nvda 2021.2 release for this tool so make sure you have this version of nvda.

We wil see if it makes a difference.

Gene nz

On 5/10/2021 1:53 pm, Mike Adams wrote:
NVDA Browse mode single letter quick navigation shortcuts (H for heading X for checkbox etc.) do not work on this computer. I remember coming across an online page which recommended settings for Windows 10, to make this work, but I have not found that page since. Anyone remember the page I am talking about?

Using:
Current NVDA + previous version
Windows 10 Pro V: 20H2 Build: 19042.1165
Windows is maintained by an external company, but I have good coms with them.