Re: Antivirus

Christo Vorster

Hi Pauline

Here in “Worcester, South Africa, we upgraded to Windows 10. We used to use JAWS and Magic for screen access and training. As I said, we upgraded and since then we make use of NVDA as our speech access. For the students requiring screen magnification, we use Windows’s built-in screen magnifier. Apparently with great success. I wouldn’t know for sure, as I am blind myself.

Regards

Christo Vorster (Worcester South Africa)

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pauline Smith
Sent: Thursday, 22 September 2016 12:49 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Antivirus

Good Evening,

Personally, I wouldn't be in a big hurry to upgrade to Windows 10.  I think that 7 will still be supported for a while.  However, any new computer a person gets will probably have 10 already installed.  So any computer our students get from their rehabilitation counselors will likely have 10 on it.  We will need to be able to teach them how to use that equipment.

Here in the US, a company called Computers for the Blind sells refurbished computers at a reduced price.  They come loaded with NVDA and a demo copy of screen enlargement software for those who need it.  They are now sending those computers with 10 installed.  So, the only reason to upgrade would be for teaching purposes.

Pauline

On 9/20/2016 11:28 PM, Gene wrote:

Do you have specific reasons for upgrading to Windows 10?  there are reasons to approach doing so with caution.  I won't go into an in depth discussion now because I don't know why you wanbt to upgrade.  Depending on your answer, I may have more comments. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:25 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Antivirus

Thank you all for letting me know about Windows Defender.  With this
information, I will consider updating to Win 10 soon.  I think I will
get the MS Accessibility line to help me do this.

Thanks, again for the Defender info.

Pauline

On 9/20/2016 10:52 PM, Arlene wrote:
> Hi, that's what I just said. windows defender does work for ten. >From what I heard it's more accessible with ten then it is for 7.  Yes it works just like MSE from what I heard.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Stanley Haupt
> Sent: September-20-16 7:44 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Antivirus
>
> Hello Pauline:
>
> Windows Defender replaces Microsoft Security Essentials.
>
> Stanley
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pauline Smith
> Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:02 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Antivirus
>
> This is one of the reasons I haven't taken the plunge and updated to Windows 10.  I have no clue what antivirus will work.  You can no longer use Security Essentials after Win 7 I don't think.
>
>
> Pauline
>
>
>
> On 9/20/2016 7:59 AM, Salva Doménech Miguel via Groups.io wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I’m now ussing Eset SmartSecurity 9, and it’s a very big shit. The 8 version was more or less accessible but my it upgrades automatically to 9 version. After, I have used Microsoft Security Essentials (a very good antivirus) in Windows 7, but in Windows 10 the Windows Defender locks me some aplications like Utorrent, cause of that i changed to Eset. I’m also looking for a good antivirus for Windows.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>>> El 20 sept 2016, a las 13:53, Walmir Schultz via Groups.io <wsautodidata@...> escribió:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>
>>> It seems to me that the antivirus developers are the less accessible-minded people in the software industry.
>>>
>>> Until now I have not found an antivirus that can be used with NVDA. From totally inaccessible right from the installation to barely usable, none of the most famous free antivirus can be used without problems.
>>>
>>> I am using AVG because at least it can be automatically installed with Ninite, but NVDA cannot read the messages dialog, I cannot configure the antivirus and every time I install NVDA I need help from someone cause AVG "don't like" something and NVDA stops responding.
>>>
>>> What are your experiences in this matter?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.