Re: Browse Mode single letter quick navigation shortcuts

Sarah k Alawami

I’ve had this issue with electron apps as well. I don’t know what causes the issue but it will fix itself after a while.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of hurrikennyandopo ...
Sent: Thursday, October 7, 2021 2:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Browse Mode single letter quick navigation shortcuts

Hi Michael,

Could I ask also have you tried the following to see if there is a difference.

Download a fresh copy of nvda and when you click on it there are 3 options one is to make a portable copy of nvda. Pick this option but also make sure you create a directory called nvda so the files go into it. Then if you know how make a shortcut to the desktop and asign a hot key for it to start it.

Or if you do it off a usb stick you will need to click on the nvda.exe file to start it. When it is running then try going back into the browser and see if the problem is fixed.

If this is the case then the nvda.ini file might of got corrupted on the installer version.

But if you still have the same problem with the fresh copy then it may not be nvda.

If it works perfect with a portable copy then I would completely uninstall nvda from the control panel.

Then press the windows key + R to bring up the run dialogue then type %appdata% then press the enter key. You will be given a list of folders with settings in them delete  the nvda one then close that screen.

From the fresh copy of nvda then reinstall nvda to the computer.

The other option is in cases resetting snvda to factory defaults will do the trick. But make sure when you do this and start up nvda you get the message where you can pick your layout having nvda start at startup etc. You will know it has been done correctly if you see that message.

If none of the above work it might be a good idea to disable all add ons and see if that fixes the problem.

To do that when you close nvda with nvda key + Q when you tab there is a combo box arrow down to disable all add ons then tab to ok then press the enter key. If that does the trick then it might be a matter of seeing which add on is doing it then remove it.

Gene nz

On 8/10/2021 8:38 am, Mike Adams wrote:

> What is happening is nvda not changing to browse mode? in a web page?

Correct

> Is there some thing else grabbing the focus and you are stuck in focus mode?

It will read web pages, it will follow the mouse pointer, it will follow the tab key through links. But if i press H, X, 1 or any letter it just repeats the letter pressed back to me. It makes it frustrating to jump forward for our blind student in his known web pages (eg GMail in HTML mode)

> Is it only in the one browser or all of the browsers or nvda is saying unknown down on the running applications area.

All browsers though we use Chrome and Firefox with the blind student.

> I guess the first thing I would try is running the Run COM Registration Fixing tool... under the tools section in nvda and follow the directions.

Done, no change

> After that is done shut down the computer then start it up again and see if that fixes the problem.

Done, no change

> There have been updates in the nvda 2021.2 release for this tool so make sure you have this version of nvda.

I had and have.

> We wil see if it makes a difference.

Sorry, none

> Gene nz

I saw, at least a year ago, a reference to a webpage that suggested making setup changes in Windows 10 to make it more NVDA friendly. I can no longer find that reference or the page. I'm sure it had a list of about 10 settings/registry changes/services that could be tweaked. We were still running Windows server 2012 at that time, and NVDA was behaving well. It has never worked correctly on this desktop.

Michael, Napier, Hawkes Bay

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 at 15:06, hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

Hi

What is happening is nvda not changing to browse mode? in a web page?

Is there some thing else grabbing the focus and you are stuck in focus mode?

Is it only in the one browser or all of the browsers or nvda is saying unknown down on the running applications area.

I guess the first thing I would try is running the Run COM Registration Fixing tool... under the tools section in nvda and follow the directions.

After that is done shut down the computer then start it up again and see if that fixes the problem.

There have been updates in the nvda 2021.2 release for this tool so make sure you have this version of nvda.

We wil see if it makes a difference.

Gene nz

On 5/10/2021 1:53 pm, Mike Adams wrote:

NVDA Browse mode single letter quick navigation shortcuts (H for heading X for checkbox etc.) do not work on this computer. I remember coming across an online page which recommended settings for Windows 10, to make this work, but I have not found that page since. Anyone remember the page I am talking about?

Using:

Current NVDA + previous version

Windows 10 Pro V: 20H2 Build: 19042.1165

Windows is maintained by an external company, but I have good coms with them.