"Blank" in Google Sheets

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I am currently using NVDA version 2021.2 with Microsoft Edge on
Windows 10 to access a spreadsheet in Google Sheets. I am positive
that this behaviour is exhibited by other browsers, including Firefox,
as well, as well as that screen reader support in Sheets is enabled.
When arrowing through the cells of a sheet, before reading any cell
(even non-empty ones), NVDA says "blank" prior to the cell's actual
contents. This means that I have to hear an extraneous word per cell
as I explore the sheet. I could create a temporary dictionary entry
that suppresses the speaking of "blank", but I was wondering the
following:
* Is there a way to properly resolve this issue?
* If not, is this a known bug in NVDA and/or GSheets?

I would greatly appreciate all inputs and suggestions in this regard.

Best Regards,
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024