Re: NVDA menu

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

The commands I gave before were for a desk top user  and if you sued object navigation before to get to where the information is the below from the user manual will give you the commands for desk top user, lap top user or touch.

If you are using a lap top layout use the commands for it.

5.5. Reviewing Text
NVDA allows you to read the contents of the screen, current document or current object by character, word or line. This is mostly useful in places (including Windows command consoles) where there is no system caret. For example, you might use it to review the text of a long information message in a dialog.
When moving the review cursor, the System caret does not follow along, so you can review text without losing your editing position. However, by default, when the System caret moves, the review cursor follows along. This can be toggled on and off.
Note: Braille following the review cursor can be configured via Braille Tether.
The following commands are available for reviewing text:
Name
Desktop key
Laptop key
Touch
Description
Move to top line in review
shift+numpad7
NVDA+control+home
none
Moves the review cursor to the top line of the text
Move to previous line in review
numpad7
NVDA+upArrow
flick up (text mode)
Moves the review cursor to the previous line of text
Report current line in review
numpad8
NVDA+shift+.
none
Announces the current line of text where the review cursor is positioned. Pressing twice spells the line. Pressing three times spells the line using character descriptions.
Move to next line in review
numpad9
NVDA+downArrow
flick down (text mode)
Move the review cursor to the next line of text
Move to bottom line in review
shift+numpad9
NVDA+control+end
none
Moves the review cursor to the bottom line of text
Move to previous word in review
numpad4
NVDA+control+leftArrow
2-finger flick left (text mode)
Moves the review cursor to the previous word in the text
Report current word in review
numpad5
NVDA+control+.
none
Announces the current word in the text where the review cursor is positioned. Pressing twice spells the word. Pressing three times spells the word using character descriptions.
Move to next word in review
numpad6
NVDA+control+rightArrow
2-finger flick right (text mode)
Move the review cursor to the next word in the text
Move to start of line in review
shift+numpad1
NVDA+home
none
Moves the review cursor to the start of the current line in the text
Move to previous character in review
numpad1
NVDA+leftArrow
flick left (text mode)
Moves the review cursor to the previous character on the current line in the text
Report current character in review
numpad2
NVDA+.
none
Announces the current character on the line of text where the review cursor is positioned. Pressing twice reports a description or example of that character. Pressing three times reports the numeric value of the character in decimal and hexadecimal.
Move to next character in review
numpad3
NVDA+rightArrow
flick right (text mode)
Move the review cursor to the next character on the current line of text
Move to end of line in review
shift+numpad3
NVDA+end
none
Moves the review cursor to the end of the current line of text
Say all with review
numpadPlus
NVDA+shift+a
3-finger flick down (text mode)
Reads from the current position of the review cursor, moving it as it goes
Select then Copy from review cursor
NVDA+f9
NVDA+f9
none
Starts the select then copy process from the current position of the review cursor. The actual action is not performed until you tell NVDA where the end of the text range is
Select then Copy to review cursor
NVDA+f10
NVDA+f10
none
On the first press, text is selected from the position previously set as start marker up to and including the review cursor's current position. If the system caret can reach the text, it will be moved to the selected text. After pressing this key stroke a second time, the text will be copied to the Windows clipboard
Move to marked start for copy in review
NVDA+shift+f9
NVDA+shift+f9
none
Moves the review cursor to the position previously set start marker for copy
Report text formatting
NVDA+shift+f
NVDA+shift+f
none
Reports the formatting of the text where the review cursor is currently situated. Pressing twice shows the information in browse mode
Report current symbol replacement
None
None
none
Speaks the symbol where the review cursor is positioned. Pressed twice, shows the symbol and the text used to speak it in browse mode.
Note: numpad keys require the Num Lock to be turned off to work properly.
A good way to remember the basic text review commands when using the Desktop layout is to think of them as being in a grid of three by three, with top to bottom being line, word and character and left to right being previous, current and next. The layout is illustrated as follows:
Previous line
Current line
Next line
Previous word
Current word
Next word
Previous character
Current character
Next character

Gene nz

On 20/10/2021 10:12 am, Lexi wrote:

Thank you for the explanation. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I am using a laptop but I have a keyboard connected to it. Do I have to listen to all of the information play through before I can do it?

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 4:02 PM hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

Hi

The easiest way if it is on the about button is when you open it in my case I use object navigation.

It will read out the information and you can not interact with it so I do the following

I am using a desk top after it has read out the information I use object navigation in this case it is the nvda key+ number 8 on the numeric keypad. It takes me up a level to where the information is.

Then I can use the number 7 on the numeric keypad to take me up to the top line which is previous line to I get to top.

I can use the number 9 on the numeric key pad to read down a line

4 will do previous word and 6 next word.

1 is previous character and 3 is next character.

8 is current line, 5 is the word you are on and 2 is the character you are on.

Depending how you read it I might read the whole lot then do it word by word say for example.

You might have to look up the command to go up a level in object navigation if using a lap top.

hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 20/10/2021 9:42 am, Lexi wrote:
Hello everyone, when I go into the NVDA menu, and click on manage add-ons, and I go to about add-on, it reads all the information all at once. Does anyone know of a way to slow this down? Reading it by words, lines, and characters doesn't  work. I only need a little bit of information, and that's at the end of all of the information that it gives me.--
Please be blessed and be safe. Thank you,
Lexi