Re: NVDA says "link dot" even when Symbol Level is Set to "some"

Gene

It appears to me that it may be useful at times to have dot spoken in odd or unusual situations because it may indicate an error.  In this case, on this site, it may be inconvenient but in general, it may be of use.  For example, in the example I gave earlier, I might want dot to be spoken if I accidentally have to dots at the end of a sentence.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t present it as an issue but it may be something that some users find worth having as it is.  Perhaps people may have comments about that.

From: Suhas D
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2021 5:08 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA says "link dot" even when Symbol Level is Set to "some"

Hi, I understand.

Maybe I'll try creating a issue on GitHub.

Thanks

---
Suhas
---
Sent from Thunderbird

“Sometimes you just jump and hope it's not a cliff.”
Casey McQuiston, Red, White & Royal Blue
On 10/22/2021 23:46, Tyler Spivey via groups.io wrote:
Symbol level is used in NVDA+p and Punctuation/symbol level in the voice settings, so both are valid. People simply don't test what they write, even if the testing takes a few seconds, so the advice here can be hit or miss.

The reason this happens is because NVDA splits the content before and after the link. Example from the log:

Speaking ['This is a ', 'visited', 'link', 'test', '.']

This log fragment is almost useless, because it shows the processing at too high a level for what we need. But I know that if you write a . on its own NVDA will say dot. So combining those two, we get the behaviour you're seeing.

The speech dictionary is useless here, it it doesn't have enough information about what it's speaking to try to fix it. Nor do addons.
Your only options are:

1. Report an issue on GitHub to get this looked at and maybe fixed.
2. Set your . in Punctuation/symbol pronunciation to level most and send only below symbol's level.
There are two dots, you don't want the . sentence ending.

If you do this, make a note of what the settings were before, because NVDA has no way of restoring these to factory defaults. If you do need to restore these to factory defaults for some reason, delete symbols-en.dic in your NVDA user configuration directory and restart NVDA.
To get there, type %appdata%\nvda into the run dialog or find "Explore NVDA user configuration directory" in the start menu. On my system, it's under All apps, NVDA, or the search box should find it.

On 10/22/2021 10:35 AM, Suhas D wrote:
The punctuation is already set to "some".

I should have added "punctuation Level" instead of "Symbol Level" in the subject.  It got confusing I guess.

I apologize for the mistake.

---
Suhas
---
Sent from Thunderbird <https://thunderbird.net/>

“Sometimes you just jump and hope it's not a cliff.”
― Casey McQuiston <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_McQuiston>, Red, White & Royal Blue <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red,_White_%26_Royal_Blue>

If you are using the say all command or reading line by line , then maybe your punctuation level needs lowering, try setting it to some and see what happens then