Re: NVDA and Email Images

Quentin Christensen

I wasn't suggesting using NVDA+r to read captchas, indeed my other comment was that we CAN'T build a feature which will reliably do that - for the very reason that if we could, so could the people (or bots) the captchas are designed to stop in the first place.  My suggestion for NVDA+r was in the case of someone's contact details being provided in an image - at least that was my understanding but maybe the question was simply how to get past the captcha to get to the contact details, in which case no, NVDA+r won't work there.

Quentin.

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 1:03 AM Jackie <abletec@...> wrote:
The accuracy of this tool to decipher captchas is so questionable as
to make it virtually useless in that regard.

On 10/27/21, David Russell <david.sonofhashem@...> wrote:
> Hi NVDA Group,
>
> Thanks for the advisement to use the NVDA key and the letter r to
> address the email image issue.
> This is different from audio captcha.
> To the website administrator, this image feature is to deter spammers
> and the like from sending unwanted communications. I hasten to ask,
> what is to prevent such activity if one sending spam realizes they can
> override the intention of a website admin by acquiring NVDA and
> misusing this feature?
> This begs the question, would it be good practice to inform the admin
> that blind persons can use the NVDA screen reader and utilize a
> feature to send email via the presented image?
>
> I think it's great to provide technology solutions, but as the adage
> states, idle hands are mischief's workshop.
> Best,
>
> --
> David C. Russell, Author

Quentin Christensen