locked Re: Making Portable NVDA

John Isige

You can't. Well, you can if you already have access to the machine and
install some third party software on it and make a script on your USB
drive, but that doesn't solve your problem. The easiest thing, I think,
would be to name your drive with a number, so in the volume label you'd
type something like 1nvda or whatever. Then to run it, you'd do the
following.

1. insert drive into computer, wait for the noise that tells you it was
recognized.

2. Hit windows-e to get into file explorer.

3. Hit 1 to get to your drive.

4. Hit enter to get into your drive.

At this point, you want to set up the contents of the drive so you have
a numbered file, like 1.bat. Have that file run NVDA. So when you're in
that drive, hit 1 and hit enter again, and you should have NVDA running.
So for example, suppose on your machine, the drive is e:. You make a
portable copy of NVDA at e:\nvda. Label e: as 1nvda or whatever, then go
into the drive. Make a file called 1.bat with text like so.

#echo off

cd \nvda

nvda

Then, slap the drive into a new machine, hit win-e, 1, enter, 1, enter.
NVDA should run.

On 10/29/2021 12:40 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I have been successful at making a portable copy of NVDA on a USB
thumb drive.  I can navigatte to it on my main computer, then shut
down the running NVDA, just hit the enter key and the portable copy
starts.  I'd like to plug this thumb drive into a machine that has no
screen reader and have it start automatically.  Can someone tell me
how to make this happen?

Thank you.

Howard