locked Re: Making Portable NVDA

Monte Single

Howard, narrator is your best bet to get t the speech working. Start the machine and press control plus the win key plus enter. This turns narrator on and off.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: October 29, 2021 12:42 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Making Portable NVDA

Thanks John. That sure did work. Tried it on my main machine and it works fine.

Now the big problem is:

I have another machine, a windows 10 computer that I bought about six years ago but never got it running; because I forgot the logon password. I'm hoping that I can get it as far as asking for the password, then make it talk. Gonna try this thumb drive or/and try narrator.

If you have other ideas, please suggest. I have found, downloaded, and set up a boot CD with a program that is supposed to let me take away the password. But I need to make the machine talk or get a sighty to read the screen. Well, maybe soon.

Thanks again.

Howard

On 10/29/2021 12:57 PM, John Isige wrote:
You can't. Well, you can if you already have access to the machine and
install some third party software on it and make a script on your USB
drive, but that doesn't solve your problem. The easiest thing, I
think, would be to name your drive with a number, so in the volume
label you'd type something like 1nvda or whatever. Then to run it,
you'd do the following.

1. insert drive into computer, wait for the noise that tells you it
was recognized.

2. Hit windows-e to get into file explorer.

3. Hit 1 to get to your drive.

4. Hit enter to get into your drive.

At this point, you want to set up the contents of the drive so you
have a numbered file, like 1.bat. Have that file run NVDA. So when
you're in that drive, hit 1 and hit enter again, and you should have NVDA running.
So for example, suppose on your machine, the drive is e:. You make a
portable copy of NVDA at e:\nvda. Label e: as 1nvda or whatever, then
go into the drive. Make a file called 1.bat with text like so.

#echo off

cd \nvda

nvda

Then, slap the drive into a new machine, hit win-e, 1, enter, 1, enter.
NVDA should run.

On 10/29/2021 12:40 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I have been successful at making a portable copy of NVDA on a USB
thumb drive. I can navigatte to it on my main computer, then shut
down the running NVDA, just hit the enter key and the portable copy
starts. I'd like to plug this thumb drive into a machine that has no
screen reader and have it start automatically. Can someone tell me
how to make this happen?

Thank you.

Howard