locked Re: Making Portable NVDA

Howard Traxler

Yup, I know that windows will update itself as soon as I connect to the internet; but the first thing is to get it up and talking.

On 10/29/2021 2:01 PM, Chris Mullins wrote:

                Hi

If you haven’t used the computer in 6 years, Windows 10 will be totally out of date.  You can start Narrator with a shortcut key combination as soon as Windows is active.  The key combination is Control+Windows+Enter as of now but it may have been just Windows+Enter on the version you have.

Cheers

Chris

*From: *Howard Traxler <mailto:htraxler7@...>
*Sent: *29 October 2021 19:42
*To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject: *Re: [nvda] Making Portable NVDA

Thanks John.  That sure did work.  Tried it on my main machine and it

works fine.

Now the big problem is:

I have another machine, a windows 10 computer that I bought about six

years ago but never got it running; because I forgot the logon

password.  I'm hoping that I can get it as far as asking for the

password, then make it talk.  Gonna try this thumb drive or/and try

narrator.

If you have other ideas, please suggest.  I have found, downloaded, and

set up a boot CD with a program that is supposed to let me take away the

password.  But I need to make the machine talk or get a sighty to read

the screen.  Well, maybe soon.

Thanks again.

Howard

On 10/29/2021 12:57 PM, John Isige wrote:

You can't. Well, you can if you already have access to the machine and
install some third party software on it and make a script on your USB
drive, but that doesn't solve your problem. The easiest thing, I think,
would be to name your drive with a number, so in the volume label you'd
type something like 1nvda or whatever. Then to run it, you'd do the
following.
1. insert drive into computer, wait for the noise that tells you it was
recognized.
2. Hit windows-e to get into file explorer.
3. Hit 1 to get to your drive.
4. Hit enter to get into your drive.
At this point, you want to set up the contents of the drive so you have
a numbered file, like 1.bat. Have that file run NVDA. So when you're in
that drive, hit 1 and hit enter again, and you should have NVDA running.
So for example, suppose on your machine, the drive is e:. You make a
portable copy of NVDA at e:\nvda. Label e: as 1nvda or whatever, then go
into the drive. Make a file called 1.bat with text like so.
#echo off
cd \nvda
nvda
Then, slap the drive into a new machine, hit win-e, 1, enter, 1, enter.
NVDA should run.
On 10/29/2021 12:40 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I have been successful at making a portable copy of NVDA on a USB
thumb drive.  I can navigatte to it on my main computer, then shut
down the running NVDA, just hit the enter key and the portable copy
starts.  I'd like to plug this thumb drive into a machine that has no
screen reader and have it start automatically.  Can someone tell me
how to make this happen?
Thank you.
Howard