Re: supressing announcement of row and column in a web table

Mary Otten

Thanks. I saw that item but thought it would disable the recognition of tables, and I didn't want that, as I need to find the table and then navigate my chosen column. Guess I should have just tried it first rather than assuming.

Mary

Hi

Have a look under the document formating section /menu then go down to tables and uncheck that box it will stop that.

It will just read as normal.

I think it is in the beta release you can use a gesture to turn it on and off when required if set. Maybe it could of been in there earlier.

Gene nz

On 1/11/2021 11:46 am, Mary Otten wrote:
I visit a grocery store website which has its sale items laid out in a very nice table, with columns headed things like location, brand, item, price etc. In addition, each item in the table is, for some reason, marked as a heading level 3. I can stop the readout of the heading messages by temporarily shutting off the reporting of headings in the nvda settings for elements grouping. I also turned off the reading of column and row headings, although that didn't do anything, and I can't find a way to stop the announcement of row and column numbers either. I want to just get into the column that lists the items and go straight down with control alt down arrow, and when I do that, I do not want to hear row such and such, column such and such, as it is totally not needed in this situation. Is there a way to do this?

Mary