locked Re: Making Portable NVDA

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 07:30 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
You don’t need sighted assistance to completely reinstall Windows 10, I have done it on many occasions.
-
I'm sorry, but what you describe, in both cases, is not a completely clean reinstall.  Emphasis on the clean part, which means wiping the entire system drive as part of the bargain.

A Reset comes close, but uses the OEM recovery partition (usually), so you get back Windows as it came installed on your computer, bloatware and all.  But that definitely doesn't require sighted assistance.

A completely clean reinstall requires changing boot order to boot from USB first in the order as well as running the diskpart command to clear all disk partitions and contents (though, by that stage) you absolutely could have turned on Narrator.  As soon as Windows loads, even as part of installing itself, Narrator becomes available.  But if you can tell me how you access UEFI/BIOS without a screen reader, on any random machine, I'd really like to hear it because UEFI/BIOS interfaces are wildly different depending on the motherboard and what UEFI/BIOS is loaded on it.

The Media Creation Tool has nothing to do with a clean reinstall.  It creates the media used, but doesn't itself do the install.  You can, of course, do a Repair Install or Feature Update with that media, choosing to keep nothing, but, again, that is not the same as a completely clean reinstall.

And none of the above is hair splitting.  While a lot of these things are similar, they are not the same.

         ~ John F. Kennedy