Re: NVDA + Windows Live Mail

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 11:32 AM, Gene wrote:
It remains my main e-mail program.

-
And I'm not telling you, or anyone else, to use Thunderbird.  But you can only stretch your luck so far.  Windows Live Mail, which I recommended as a basic email client long after it went out of support, keeps breaking for multiple people for multiple reasons these days, which is no surprise.  Use it as long as you like and you can, but you would be well-advised to begin looking at replacements so that when it finally breaks for you, it won't be a choice made hastily.

That's one of the beauties of IMAP access to e-mail.  It allows you to set up as many different email clients as you might wish to "give them a spin" without it screwing up your email access on other devices or in your preferred client of the moment on the same device.

And those who use Gmail are very likely to very shortly have huge problems with WLM which, if I'm remembering correctly, does not support 2FA or OAUTH access in any way.  Google is moving millions of accounts to require 2FA next week, at least one of mine in that number.  I haven't received the notice yet on others.

There really is a very good reason for the group rule:  Unsupported versions of any software may only be discussed on the Chat Subgroup, not the main NVDA Group.
It's not because unsupported software cannot be used past its end of support date, at least for a while, but because it is eventually bound to break and screen readers as a class will not fix any issues that they may have with out-of-support software.  Resources are limited, and programmers have to focus on what's happening now as well as what is going to happen (that's known in advance) in the future.  There's no good reason to do otherwise.

         ~ John F. Kennedy