Re: NVDA error sound in beta version

Quentin Christensen

In general, the error sound is played in Alpha and Beta versions of NVDA when an error is written to the log.  This is not played in the RC or stable builds, although the error will still be written to the log.  We have introduced an option in 2021.3 to enable that error sound in the stable version.

So why is the error sound played?  Essentially it is for developers (NVDA, add-on, or other program developers) to know that an error has been written to the log.  It is not really a feature aimed at end users, although more end users do encounter it with the beta versions.  It can be useful, but for an end user, the key criteria for "is this actually a problem?" is - ok the error sound played, but did it impact what you were doing?  If the sound hadn't played, would you even have noticed a problem?  Often something fails (which causes an error in the log) but NVDA will try something else which does work, so there is no impact on the function the user was attempting to use.  While we ideally wouldn't have any errors in regular use, what we really want to prioritise are issues which impact your ability to do something - whether or not an error was written.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 5:53 AM Eduardo Fermiano Luccas <25102008luccas@...> wrote:
hi friends, can you guys tell me why the NVDA error sound is played in beta or alpha version?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager