An issue I’m having with a web form at work

Khalid Anwar

Imagine you open up a drop-down menu, and it brings up a list and you have to select multiple elements from this list.
The way a sighted person would do it is by holding down the control key and then pressing the left mouse button, this would highlight/select the necessary element without clicking on it, however when I press enter on one of the elements, it automatically wishes to submit the web form.
Is there any way around this?
I’m thinking about asking the IT department to make all the separate elements into their own checkboxes.