Re: new subscriber with braille display issues

Brett Boyer

As always, I appreciate everything you do! Thank you for such an informative message. I will try this as soon as I get to my workstation. But, it sounds like that will fix my problem. I still remember seeing a lot longer of a list in NVDA recently. And, the braille note touch was part of that list. Still not sure what happened… But if this works, I guess it doesn’t matter.
Again, thank you for everything you do! You have always been so helpful.

On Nov 14, 2021, at 8:40 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

I see. Humanware does have a page with a download link for the braille display driver: https://support.humanware.com/en-canada/support/braillenote_touch/using_your_braillenote_touch_as_a_braille_display

Basically, you would:

  1. Install the braille terminal driver from the site I linked above (although it says BrailleNote Touch, it is applicable to Touch Plus as well). You should install just the USB driver, not the JAWS driver.
  2. After the driver is installed, from Touch Plus, go to main menu (Home key), select Braille Terminal, then choose USB. Touch Plus will say, "Braille Terminal: USB".
  3. Connect the Touch Plus to the computer using the provided USB-C charging cable.
  4. Wait for Windows to finish installing Touch Plus.
  5. On the computer, press Control+NVDA+A to open braille display dialog, at which point you should see a HumanWare entry. You can use that entry or choose "automatic" to let NVDA detect the Touch Plus.

If things went well, you will see the contents of the screen on the braille display.

IMPORTANT: if you connect the Touch Plus without starting Braille Terminal, Windows will recognize Touch Plus as an Android device.

In case you didn't know, there is a dedicated list for BrailleNote users on Groups.IO where folks do discuss braille display connection questions from time to time: https://groups.io/g/braillenote

Cheers,

Joseph