Re: Improvements to the caps lock key and the NVDA key

Sarah k Alawami

I actually have been bothered, but I figured this was the default of every screen reader, until I started using differen oss. It’s not really a big deal to me, nice to have but not necessary.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2021 8:00 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Improvements to the caps lock key and the NVDA key

There are objective facts and opinions.  You are stating a fact.  You do this.  You have presented no evidence to support a generalization that a lot of people do what you do nor that they find pressing caps lock twice to be something they consider a problem or an inconvenience worth asking to be changed.  Nor have you presented arguments why these things might be the case.

I have no evidence either, in terms of that I haven’t taken a survey of a representative sample of NVDA members.  But it is just common sense, considering the purpose of the caps lock key that most people don’t use it much. 

Also, in all the years I’ve been on this list, I have never heard this complained of before.  Therefore, it is a good inductive conclusion that few people are bothered by the current way this is set up.

Gene

-----Origina Message-----

Sent: Monday, November 15, 2021 9:33 AM

But what makes anyone say it isn’t? Everyone’s experience is different.

I know loads of people who use the caps lock, both blind and not.

All the best

steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 15 November 2021 15:17

You are one person.  If you took three showers a day, that doesn’t mean it is common. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, November 15, 2021 2:37 AM

I disagree with your assertion that caps lock is not commonly used. I use it a lot.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 12 November 2021 16:00

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 08:19 AM, Gene wrote:

It would be an execution nightmare.  First, how does Windows know what your intent is?

-
It wouldn't be Windows determining the intent, but NVDA.

Ignoring sticky keys, which is a separate function of its own, when the CAPS LOCK key is used as a modifier key I cannot think of a time when that would not involve what would easily be "timeable" as a long-press or require CAPS LOCK along with another key (as it is the modifier).  A very quick single press of CAPS LOCK meant to be used as CAPS LOCK is something NVDA could likely detect and pass through because it would be a very quick strike.

Personally, I don't think this is really necessary as CAPS LOCK is not, generally speaking, a commonly used key, unlike shift.  On the rare occasions where you really want CAPS LOCK and it's being used as the NVDA modifier key a quick double press does not seem too difficult to accomplish.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

~ John F. Kennedy

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.