Re: NVDA's handling of checkboxes especially in Google Chrome

Tyler Zahnke <programmer651@...>

Well, then why doesn't NVDA say "clicked" when a clickable element is
clicked? One time my focus was out of focus and my enter key didn't
click it.

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 12:27 PM, Jackie wrote:

Truthfully, I don't think the vast majority of web devs know the
difference between clickable elements & checkboxes.
-
Jackie,

Even though his comment is meta-NVDA, I'll say not only is your observation
accurate, but it's more than just checkboxes.  In the last couple of years
it's become all the rage to present links not with click through text or a
navigation structure, but such that they look identical to a button to a
sighted user.  The only way I know that many of these are links instead of
buttons is that I've accustomed myself to looking at what shows up in the
browser status bar when I hover on them.

For someone such as myself, who tutors those new to screen readers, imagine
how insane it was when that practice started, unnanounced, and I'm saying,
"Navigate to the {insert what's presented here} button and activate it,"
when it wasn't a button and if the button quick navigation was being used to
try to "bounce over" to it you'd never land on it.  Let us simply say that
neither I, nor my students, were thrilled about this development.  Even
though I know about it, I'm still not.  Masking one type of element as
another is just not a good idea from purely a design perspective.

*The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*

~ John F. Kennedy