Re: NVDA's handling of checkboxes especially in Google Chrome

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 01:03 PM, Tyler Zahnke wrote:
Well, then why doesn't NVDA say "clicked" when a clickable element is clicked? One time my focus was out of focus and my enter key didn't
click it.
-
I truly do not know whether this behavior is by design or not as far as NVDA is concerned, or whether there may be a setting that would allow the announcement you seek.

 And while I understand why, when you're not focused on a clickable element and you attempt to activate (click) it, that doesn't work, that alone should be a big clue that your focus was off.  If you try again, once you've confirmed focus, and it still doesn't activate then we're back to "it's a problem with the page design."

There is no right or wrong as far as personal preferences as to how much or little auditory feedback about behavior you get from a screen reader, but I try to teach my students/clients not to rely on auditory feedback of the "clicked" type when, in the vast majority of cases, the actual behavior post activation tells you all you need to know.  You can infer things, when all is working as it should, without these kinds of action confirmation feedback.  You can also infer that all is not working as it should on those occasions where you need to do so.  Both of those become second nature once you're used to using "what was the result of my action" as your metric as to whether a given action was taken or not.

Some of this, though, may very well depend on whether you've always been blind or went blind later in life.  Most of my clients are the latter, and the action confirmations drive them to distraction, particularly early on.  They simply know that for example, if you've got something selected and hit CTRL + C, it is copied to the clipboard.  There are the rare occasions where you may have accidentally deselected before hitting copy, but you'll know that when you go to paste, and the end result would still be you need to go back and select and copy again.

There are a very large number of actions where, if you know you know the correct shortcut for them, that it's safe to take on faith have worked when what you do next serves as a confirmation that this prior step worked as expected or not.  It's just a matter of getting used to looking at the result of step 2 as your confirmation that step 1 did what you thought it should.  And for a skilled computer user, way more than 90% of the time, it will have.
-

         ~ John F. Kennedy