Re: NVDA's handling of checkboxes especially in Google Chrome

Steve Nutt

Brian, I’m surprised that wasn’t the first thing you tried, being a screen reader tutor.

You should know that arrowing down in a password box won’t automatically invoke browse mode.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 16 November 2021 17:19
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA's handling of checkboxes especially in Google Chrome

Tyler,

That worked.  Forcing NVDA out of focus mode and into browse mode prior to down arrowing from the password edit box does get, "Clickable, remember me," announced when using Firefox.  And hitting either the spacebar or enter toggles the remember me checkbox from off to on for the first press and does the standard off, on, off, on with any subsequent presses.

And the lack of that behavior under Chromium based browsers is consistent.  A down arrow from the password box after going back into browse mode takes you straight to the, "By continuing," line.

I still suspect this has to do with what each respective browser does with respect to the hidden attribute.  It appears that under Chomium browsers, that attribute is persistent, while in Firefox for some reason it's not.  And if that's the case, and it may not be, then either Firefox or Chrome/Chromium-based browsers are wrong about how they are handling that object.  This is not something that should be inconsistent, and my gut tells me that Firefox is misbehaving.  But those far better versed than myself both in what web browsers are supposed to honor as far as what gets exposed to a screen reader based upon attributes and what NVDA itself is doing "under the hood" would have to speak to that.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

~ John F. Kennedy

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.