Re: NVDA speechless on the enter key in Wordpad

Deenadayalan Moodley

Hi,

Check out the NVDA global commands extension... it allows you to turn individual keys on and off.

Thanks.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mani Iyer via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, 17 November 2021 19:49
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA speechless on the enter key in Wordpad

Hello Gene,

I wouldn’t mind having the “Speak commands’ turned on when in Wordpad but elsewhere it gets annoying! I wish there was a command to quickly turn ‘Speak commands’ on and off.

Well if not, I will have to get used to the silence. :)

Mani

On Nov 17, 2021, at 12:42 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

NVDA doesn’t speak any command keys by default.  You already know what happens when you turn speak command keys on. 

You may find that you quickly get used to not hearing enter.  You may expect it since you evidently have heard it in the past but giving not hearing it a chance for perhaps a few days or a week may get you used to not hearing it and it may not matter any longer.

I believe the option should be available.  People should be able to choose which command keys they hear, but since I know of no way they can, if you get used to not hearing it quickly, the problem may not matter shortly.

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 10:52 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA speechless on the enter key in Wordpad

Good to hear from you again after a long time. :)
Thank you Sarah. But you have no idea as to why NVDA does not speak the enter key on Wordpad?

Mani

> On Nov 17, 2021, at 11:25 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
>
> I recommend Jarte. It is no longer being made, but it is one of my favorite programs to use for an RTF editor and a docx  viewer.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mani Iyer via groups.io
> Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 7:56 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: [nvda] NVDA speechless on the enter key in Wordpad
>
> Hello all,
> Having worked on the Mac with Voiceover for many years, I am a newbie to Windows and NVDA which I am learning through the user guide and enjoying it.
> A RTF editor is a must for what I do and I chose Wordpad (I will welcome ideas for any better NVDA-accessible and free editors).  I don’t know what setting would make NVDA speak the enter key whenever I move to a new line. Setting the ‘Speak commands’ option on does speak it but speaks all other commands I press in the process.
>
> Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,.
>
> Warmly,
> Mani
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.